Too Hot for Tots is a new e-learning platform created by the BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund, with support from BC Children’s Hospital. The course was launched during this year’s Burn Awareness Week (February 5 – 11, 2023) and is now available on the Burn Fund’s Prevention page.
Scalds are the leading cause of burn injuries in children. The new Too Hot for Tots course takes just 30 minutes and is a resource for caregivers to learn about burn and scald prevention.
- Approximately 150 patients with new burn injuries are treated at BC Children’s Hospital each year alone
- Scald burns account for 70 percent of all burns in children
- Scalds are most often caused by hot liquids, steam or hot bath water
- 78 percent of burn injuries in children happen to children under five
- Toddlers are at a developmental stage where they need to explore and experiment, often lacking awareness of danger in certain situations