The THRIVE Program was created to meet the unique challenges associated with sustaining a burn injury during infancy, childhood, adolescence or young adulthood. Young adults obtain tools to navigate high school, adopt a sense of independence and adapt to new and changing roles. The THRIVE Program is for young adults who deal with these issues in addition to the experiences unique to them as burn survivors.
The Thrive Program is year-round with activities spread throughout the year. Major events of Thrive participation are;
- Thrive Winter Retreat: January 11th – 15th, 2018
- International Youth Exchange: February 15th – 18th, 2019
- Canadian Burn Survivor Conference June 27th – 30th, 2018
- Burn Camp JC & Leadership Training: July 15 – 20th, 2018
- International Burn Camp Leadership Training: November 8th – 11th, 2018
- Future is Mine (FIM) – Adult Burn Survivor Program: Activities & Events throughout the year, see the FIM page on our website or contact email@example.com
- Volunteer & Burn Fund Ambassador activities happen throughout the year. Please contact the Burn Fund office for more information 604-436-5617
Next THRIVE Retreat: January 11 – 15, 2018
Thrive Info, Letter & Schedule 2018
The Thrive Winter Retreat is a 5-day experience for burn survivors between the ages of 18 – 25 years old. The first annual retreat was held in January 2016 at the Big White Ski Resort in Kelowna, British Columbia. Ten enthusiastic participants joined Counselors for empowering experiences addressing life and burn injury coping skills.
Workshops and exercises engage the participants in team building; life skills lessons; and networking. The goals include giving each burn survivor new knowledge and tools that will help them navigate the demands of young adulthood; introduce them to opportunities to stay involved with the BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund; and provide an opportunity to continue friendships created at summer Burn Camp as well as developing new friendships with burn survivors who have not attended Burn Camp.
“I loved the career planner, fantastic idea! The cooking nights were awesome as well. If possible in the future, continue the Avalanche Training scenarios. The inclusion with Big White Fire was awesome!” 2016 THRIVE Retreat Participant
Thanks to the generous support of donors and sponsors, the Burn Fund covers the entire cost of the THRIVE Winter Retreat for all participants.